We recently completed deliveries to the Millmerran Power Station after collecting these imported units from the Port of Brisbane.
Typically we’d run a job like this using our road trains which allows us a greater capacity to complete the transport legs (moving 2 units per road train) and more flexibility with timing. The moment things are OOG (out of gauge), the plan changes!
- Over-width (3.32m total) which means you cannot use multi-combinational vehicles – single trailers only.
- Now that you can’t use road trains (which are rated to carry heavier masses by having the dolly + mass management), you run the risk of being overweight on your gross and axle weights.
- OOG then means you have curfew hours where you cannot transport freight between certain time brackets.
On top of the above 3 points, our customer imported 16 of these OOG crates at once however only had 8 days free on the hire of the flat racks. This means, if the job was not completed and the flat racks weren’t de-hired within the 8 days free, the shipping line will be whacking the client with further hire detention charges each day thereafter.
For the above now, 4 points, the decision was made to do the following:
- Collect all units from the wharf within the 3 free days.
- Unpack the units.
- De-hire all of the flat racks within the detention free period.
- Deliver the crates to site (approx. 240km from the Port) when required and outside curfew times.
The reason the above avenue was chosen to be followed was to eliminate the risk of further costs. For example, all it would take is for one of more of the flat racks to fail a rural tailgate inspection and the freight will not be able to move until further action (in most cases a quarantine wash) is taken. Then the flat rack + units have to be re-inspected and passed by quarantine officers.
At South East Qld. Hauliers, we do more than just throw pricing at a job or accept what falls on our lap. We look across the entire job and the big picture to add value, work efficient and where possible save costs and/or minimise the risk of additional charges within the project.
Business Development Manager